A petrol station in Barnetby was damaged by an explosion last night. Firemen appeared on the scene and spent over eight hours tackling the blaze. In the early hours of the morning, a secondary fire broke out in an adjoining transport cafe it was dealt with quickly.
Humberside Chief Fire Officer George Peters told reporters that the original source of the blaze could well have been a lighted cigarette carelessly discarded.
He added: “I am asking for the mutual co-operation of the public by asking them to stay away from the vicinity of the fire until the emergency is finally over.”
Mrs Jean Blackburn said everything had been totally destroyed in the fire and that she was determined to find the cause of the incident. She had been called onto the scene shortly aftermidnight. No members of the public were in close when the fire broke out and the majority of the petrol tanks were empty at the time.
She managed a smile on her face and said she looked forward to a new beginning for the business once everything was cleared u. Mrs.Blackburn estimated the cost of the damages at £50,000 or more.